Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Cultural Differences...

There are many cultural differences between the UK and the US. For two countries that share a language some of them can be glaring and awkward, especially for this idiot Brit.

It's funny, but it isn't just me who is wrong in assuming that we should be able to communicate effectively. I frequently make my neighbours laugh or look at me quizzically when I use a word they aren't familiar with or use it in a way that they have never used it before. I suppose the typical example is the word "Brilliant". We, the Brits, use this word to mean a variety of things, ranging from something bright to "That particular thing is most excellent". We can also use it ironically, ie "That particular thing is actually most heinous, but I'll make the best of it by saying 'Brilliant'". The average American (whom I've never met, I'm just using them as an example) uses brilliant for a bright thing, be that a light or a person. And that's it.

Pushchair is another blank looker. Or pram... Americans have one word for it: stroller. For a Brit, a stroller is one of those umbrella folding pushchairs you have for going round in town. Pushchair encompasses all the types of rolling kid carrier. A pram is a baby carrier, for babies between 0 and 6 months; it's short for perambulator. Very Nanny like...

I think that's what it comes down to, we just have more words for everything. Especially swear words. There's a reason that the average Brit (again, never met them, not sure I'd like to) doesn't use the F word as an adjective, verb and noun. We have so many others that it would be a waste just to use one. It can be rather jarring to hear one on prime time TV over here unbleeped because an American audience has no idea what it means. For example, the word wanker. Sorry for the uncouthness, but if they can use this word on the Simpsons at 6:30pm on a school night, I think I can get away with it here.

I had explain to my neighbour the word 'knackered' yesterday. It's a strange word. To my grandparents' generation, this word was the height of uncouthness. It refers to the act of knackering a horse, ie taking it to the slaughterhouse for turning into glue. However, its original connotation is for the male genitalia ie the testicles, hence the uncouthness. I suppose the horse was deemed 'screwed' if it went to the slaughterhouse, hence being knackered. My generation use it as a verb to describe being very tired, usually due to some physical exertion, or if something is particularly broken or run down. Go figure.

I never meant to let my first post get to be a general rant about verbiage, but I suppose it's on my mind, so I might as well splurge it all on the page.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, a blog is a good idea Jo, you have a strong grasp of life and a talent for putting it into words,

good luck!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog Jo.
I actually learned a lot from it.
Now I have another place to stalk you. ;)

<3
Mary

Anonymous said...

As always, you're witty and informative; a pleasure to read. :)

So, what DOES wanker mean? I assumed penis?

Ever seen The Commitments? Talk about using the "f" word as noun, verb, adjective and adverb!

--L

Anonymous said...

You would've been impressed with my use of colloquialisms today at work. And an "average" american wouldn't understand any of them. My co-workers, however, were laughing themselves silly. :)

Xen

Anomalous said...

Nah, splurge away. I like to know these differences, myself. I never realized the "w" word was so ribald over there.

It cracks me up that the movie Sliding Doors (one of my favorites) that's rated PG-13 here would probably be rated R over there (or whatever equivalent rating you guys use).

Also, having watched every episode of Coupling, (the good version) I find myself using "brilliant" in both the same manner and accent as Jeff. It's a little embarassing at times as I don't have the British reputation to fall back on. Oops.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, that was extremely valuable and interesting...I will be back again to read more on this topic.