Monday, April 16, 2007

Health Matters Part Deux

Basement flooded this morning. It's still flooding as we speak. We have a pond pump and a wet vac going and I have a feeling my husband isn't coming to bed anytime soon.

I also had my biopsy results this afternoon. I have a papillary thyroid carcinoma. I need a thyroidectomy and radioactive iodine. My endocrinologist said that it wouldn't affect my ability to nurse Gabriel. That's rubbish as it says all over the info on it that it gets concentrated in all your secretions, which includes milk.

So I have a choice, I can have the thyroidectomy and not the radioactive iodine and run the risk of them not getting it all and it regrowing and possibly metastasing (if it hasn't already) or stop nursing at 6 months...I am incredibly upset about the possibility of having to give up nursing but I am not particularly upset about the cancer diagnosis. How crazy is that?

The upshot is that I am young(ish), it's small (1.2cm) and it's got a 95% survival rate without both of those things going for me, 80-90% chance of being cured in fact.

I'm pretty hopeful but it's 11 and I want to talk to my mum...I don't think she'd appreciate a call at 4 in the morning...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you know what, no matter what time of the day you call, your mum is always happy to hear from you! You of all people should know that! Mum is our name and nature so get used to it. You are and will always be special. The one who is first, in all things#!!!!!