Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year's Goals.

2010. Going to be an interesting one, I think. Sean finally has left the client company, after 4 years of threatening to. If this had happened 4 years ago, I doubt we would still be here in the US. Instead, it's happened now. We have green cards. We have a mortgage. We have children deep in the school system. Even the vaguely terrifying prospect of finding college fees in 7 years time is slowly becoming a reality we will probably have to face!

So, what are my goals for 2010?

I think my biggest one is to get myself well. And fit. Having spent the last two years sitting on my butt feeling sorry for myself has actually been detrimental to my health! OK, I've not felt able to exercise, the fact that I haven't has meant the 20lbs I put on after my RAI treatment has stayed on. Not only that but my ACL, which I am fairly sure I broke three years ago skiing, made itself known over the summer, I suspect because I have stopped swimming regularly and stopped the yoga, which has meant my general strength has diminished to the point where my knee collapsed under me when I was dancing at a wedding.

So, along with getting fit and well, I really want to lose some pounds. I am worried that my weight is back up to what it was when I got the pre-diabetic diagnosis four years ago. Also, a lot of my clothes don't fit me any more. Which sucks as I have some lovely clothes! I'm stuck wearing jogging pants and mumsy tops and refuse to look at myself in the full-length mirror for fear of my over-sized ar$e eclipsing the rest of me!

Other goals are smaller and probably more obtainable :)

I fully intend to knit more. I love creating stuff and knitting is a good outlet for me. So I am going to do it more. It might stop me snacking on chocolate late at night anyway!

I want to print out a lot of my favourite photos then sit down with all the kids' photos and put them in albums. We have a lot of albums for Imogen's first couple of years (apart from her first 6 months, for some reason), but none from after Miranda was born. This coincided with us getting a digital camera. While I love having a digital camera and the flexibility of digital, it sucks that we never print them out and then enjoy them. And I'm always slightly freaked out that I will lose all the pics. Losing two hard drives in the last 5 years has made me back up like a demon and the pics are stored on three separate drives now, as well as some CDs, but having hard copies of our favourites would be the best idea!

I want to keep this place tidy and organised on a more regular basis! Right now, we're clean and tidy and organised. It's bliss. I want it to stay this way. It might mean a bit more shouty mummy, though, which I'm not that happy about, but we shall see what happens.

Which brings me to my last goal for 2010. To be a 'better' mummy. To try to do more things with my children and try to give them as many happy times as I can. I feel as if I've been on hold for two years, with brief flurries of activity and brief times of real familial enjoyment. I love my children more than anything in the whole world (with the possible exception of their daddy) and I want them to have the best childhood I can possibly make for them. This means that, by hook or by crook, we shall find a way of funding our summers in England because they are happy, joyful, wonderful times with their grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins that I want them to remember for the rest of their lives.

We make of our lives what we put into our lives. If I continue to put nothing into my life, then what can I possibly hope to get out of it? I often like to say that we only get once round on this merry-go-round we call life. Make the most of it. It's all over too soon, before we really have time to realise it.

No comments: